Event 3: 24 Hours without Technology

 There is mounting evidence that suggests blue light, especially in the evening, disrupts the natural sleep cycle (Silvani et al.). Additionally, it has been shown that “excess use of the internet over prolonged periods of time may negatively affect some cognitive functions, particularly attention and short-term memory” (Tarawneh). I also found it interesting that breaks from technology can “reduce stress” (UW Health). For these reasons, I thought it would be useful to do a 24 hour technology break as my third event. With finals on the horizon, de-stressing would be very beneficial. I think I achieved just that. I will be honest finding a day when I would not need to be on my computer and phone in any capacity was challenging. However, Friday, June 7th was the perfect day for me as I had no work commitments or academic deadlines to follow. The most challenging part was not having an alarm clock. Thus, I spent nearly 11 of the 24 hours sleeping. During my 24 hours, I took to pen and paper for many tasks. However, most of my time was spent reading and going for long walks throughout Westwood. See below for a picture I took of the Fowler museum while on a routine walk before the 24 hours cleanse. 

Photo taken by myself, Bailey Giovanoli, on Tuesday, June 4th at the Fowler Museum

 When the 24 hours were over, I found myself rather upset. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to take a break from not only technology but also all the commitments that come with technology. This experience has taught me that technology is a tool to help us connect, but can also hinder our perception of the outside world. During my walks, I found myself taking note of and appreciating parts of my daily surroundings that I hadn't before. I also found a deeper appreciation for my space and keeping my space clean. See below for a picture I took after the 24 hours were up of my freshly cleaned apartment floors and the puzzle I had constructed. 

Photo taken by myself, Bailey Giovanoli, at my apartment on June 8th 

At first, I thought the 24 hours was going to be more of a burden, but I found to appreciate this time as an act of self-care. Don’t get me wrong, it was challenging but in the future, I hope to incorporate one 24-hour technology cleanse per month to better increase my appreciation and perception of the natural world around me. 

Works Cited

Silvani MI, Werder R, Perret C. The influence of blue light on sleep, performance and wellbeing in young adults: A systematic review. Front Physiol. 2022 Aug 16;13:943108. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2022.943108. PMID: 36051910; PMCID: PMC9424753.

“Taking a Technology Break Can Help Your Health.” News | UW Health, www.uwhealth.org/news/taking-technology-break-can-help-health. Accessed 9 June 2024. 

Tarawneh, Rawan. “How Does the Internet Affect Brain Function?” Ohio State Medical Center, 26 Feb. 2020, wexnermedical.osu.edu/blog/how-internet-affects-your-brain#:~:text=In%20addition%20to%20its%20negative,feel%20isolated%20and%2For%20overwhelmed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2: Math and Art

Week 7: Neuroscience and Art

Week 9: Space and Art